Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories


Original document


Kelly’s Directory of Shropshire and Herefordshire

Place name:

St Margarets




Trades and professions named in St Margarets include:

Blacksmith: William Davies

Butcher: William Powell

Innkeeper: John Thomas Reece [Sun Inn]

Mason: James Lewis

Parish clerk: James Lewis

Shopkeeper: Thomas Howard

Vicar: Reverend Fred Trefusis Wybrow

Mentions property called:

Coedpoath [George Jones]

Fair Oak [John Kedward]

Gilvaugh [James Price]

Llanon [Thomas Harris]

Lower House [Caroline Whitcomb]

Lower Llanon [Joseph Hughes]

Murryhurst [Thomas Evans]

Tanhouse [Alford James]

The Corner [Thomas Watkins]

Trecandever [James Powell]

Trevaker (?Trefecca) [Hannah Cole]

Wern Willim [William Pritchard]

An image of the full 1885 Kelly’s Directory entry for St Margarets is given below.


Local farmers are named. The area, population, rateable value, main crops, geology, county court arrangements and other details of the Parish are given. The architecture of the church is described. Miss Rawson of Nidd Hall, Leeds is [Lady] Lord of the Manor; she and Herbert Howorth Wood and the Marquis of Abergavenny are chief landowners.

This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_stm_0106