Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories


Original document


Jakeman & Carver’s Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire

Place name:

St Margarets




Trades and professions named in St Margarets include:

Assistant Overseer: William Preece [Newton]

Blacksmith: William Davies

Butcher: William Powell

Carpenter: John Thomas Rees, Edmund Lewis

Carrier: Mrs Fleet, Mrs Powell

Gamekeeper [to HH Wood]: Thomas Howard

Haulier: James Williams

Innkeeper: John Thomas Reece [Sun Inn]

Mason: George White

Parish clerk: John Thomas Rees

Parish Constable: John Altree

Shopkeeper: Thomas Howard

Vicar: Reverend Fred Trefusis Wybrow

Mentions property called:

Alms house: [Mrs E Howard]

Beavan’s place [William Cole]

Castle ibo [James Williams]

Cleamants: Thomas Fleet]

Coed pouth [John Altree]

Crossway [William Powell]

Dellen house [James Pugh]

Fair Oak [John Kedward]

Fernbreed [Sydney Cole]

Gilvah [John Lewis, James Price]

Haines place: [Edmund Lewis]

Iron Pear Tree [Mrs Williams]

Lower House [Thomas Gwilliam]

Lower Llanon [Joseph Hughes]

Maerdy [George Seaborne]

Maireses [?Marissis]: James Griffiths]

Murryhurst [William Powell]

Newfield [Morgan Lloyd]

Old farm [Thomas Fletcher]

Park farm [John Morgan]

Slough [William Davies, George White]

Tanhouse [Alford James]

The Corner [George Watkins]

Trecoediver [James Powell]

Trevaker [?Trefecca] [George Cole]

Upper Llanon [William Pritchard]

Walters place [John Watkins]

Wells Green: [Thomas Howard]

Wern Willim [William Pritchard]

An image of the full 1890 Jakeman & Carver’s Directory entry for St Margarets is given below.


Local farmers are named. The area, population, rateable value, main crops, geology, county court and election arrangements and other details of the Parish are given. Miss Rawson is [Lady] Lord of the Manor; she, Mrs Hamp, Herbert Howorth Wood and the Marquis of Abergavenny are chief landowners. The architecture of the church [renovated in 1865 -66] is described.

This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_stm_0107