Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories


Original document


Post Office Directory of Herefordshire

Place name:





Trades and professions named in Rowlestone include:

Miller: David Davies [Upper Rowlstone Mill]

Schoolmaster: Miss Jane D Preston

Vicar: Reverend James Martin Kennedy

Mentions property called:  

Lower Mill [John Wall]

New Bilbo [John Watkins]

Newhouse [James Hoddell]

Park farm [Caroline Rogers]

Pen y worglodd William Hoddell]

Pw y lyrhunt [Thomas Jones]

Rowlstone Court [William Gwillim]

Rowlstone House farm [John Prosser]

The Veddo [Richard Watkins]

Vicarage [Rev. James Martin Kennedy]

Vrow [John Williams]

Wigga [George Watkins]

Woodbine Cottage [John Price]

An image of the full 1879 Post Office Directory entry for Rowlestone is given below.


Local farmers are named. The area, population, rateable value, main crops and other details of the Parish are given. There is a detailed description of the history and architecture of the church. Mrs Donagan, daughter and heiress of the late Colonel John Lucy Scudamore of Kentchurch Park, is Lord [Lady] of the Manor; she and Mr Watkins, James Gilbert Price and William Hoddell are the principal landowners. There is a Board school.

This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_row_0005