Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories


Original document


Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire

Place name:





Trades and Professions named in Rowlestone include:

Mason: John Williams

Miller: David Davies [Lower Mill]; John Watkins [Rowlstone mill]

Vicar: Reverend James Martin Kennedy

Mentions property called:  

Hill farm [John Gwilliam]

New House [Robert Prosser]

Park farm [Mrs Rogers]

Pen y worlod [William Hoddell]

Pudding Lane [John Williams]

Rowlestone house [John Prosser]

Rowlstone Court [James Farr]

Vicarage [Rev. James Martin Kennedy]

Vrow [John Williams]

Wigga [George Watkins]

Woodbine Cottage [John Price]

Images of the 1876 Littlebury’s Directory entry for Rowlestone are shown below.


The Directory gives population, area, rateable value, types of crops and other details of the parish. Edward Scudamore Lucas Esq. is Lord of the Manor. There is a very detailed description of the Church.

This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_row_0004