Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories


Original document


Kelly’s Directory of Shropshire and Herefordshire

Place name:





Trades and professions named in Rowlestone include:

Bailiff: John Hoddell

Miller: David Davies [Upper Rowlstone Mill]

Parish clerk: George Meredith

Schoolmaster: George Moss

Vicar: Reverend James Martin Kennedy [since 1864]

Mentions property called:  

Lower Mill [John Wall]

New Bilbo [Richard Williams]

Newhouse [James Hoddell]

Pen y worglodd William Hoddell]

Pw y lyrhunt [Thomas Jones]

Rowlstone Court [John Hoddell]

Rowlstone Park [John Gwillim]

The Veddo [John Prosser]

Vicarage [Rev. James Martin Kennedy]

Vroe [John Williams]

Wigga [George Watkins]

An image of the full 1885 Kelly’s Directory entry for Rowlestone is given below.


Local farmers are named. The area, population, rateable value, main crops and other details of the Parish are given. There is a description of the history and architecture of the church, which was restored in1865. Mrs Donagan, daughter and heiress of the late Colonel John Lucy Scudamore of Kentchurch Park, is Lord [Lady] of the Manor. There is a Board school for 70 children; average attendance 65.

This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_row_0006