Hereford Public Library
Local and Trade Directories
Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire and Shropshire
Trades and professions named in Rowlestone include:
Miller: Abraham Davies [Upper Rowlstone Mill]
Revenue Officer: Joseph W L’Amie
Vicar: Reverend William George Cook [since 1902]
Residents and property named include:
Rev. William Geo.
Pen y wrlod
An image of the full 1905 Kelly’s Directory entry for Rowlestone is given below.
Local farmers are named. The area, population, rateable value, main crops, geology, county court arrangements and other details of the Parish are given. There is a description of the history and architecture of the church, which was restored in1865. Edward Scudamore Lucas-Scudamore is Lord of the Manor.
This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.