Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories


Original document


Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire and Shropshire

Place name:





Trades and professions named in Rowlestone include:

Mason: William Williams

Miller: Thomas Davies [Upper Rowlstone Mill]

Schoolmaster: James L Mitchell

Vicar: Reverend Robert Whinery [since 1894]

Mentions property called:  

Church farm [William Price]

Cwm [Arther Evans]

Hill farm [Daniel Prosser]

Lower Mill [John Wall]

New Bilbo [Richard Williams]

Newhouse [Gordon Alexander]

Old Vicarage: Henry Elmore Johnston

Pen y wrlod [Philip Williams]

Pudding lane [William Williams

Rowlstone Court [Elizabeth Prosser]

Rowlstone Park [John Gwillim]

Vicarage [Rev. Robert Whinery]

Vroe [John Williams]

Wigga [George Watkins]

An image of the full 1895 Kelly’s Directory entry for Rowlestone is given below.


Local farmers are named. The area, population, rateable value, main crops, geology, county court arrangements and other details of the Parish are given. There is a description of the history and architecture of the church, which was restored in1865. Edward Scudamore Lucas of Castle Shane C. Monaghan is Lord of the Manor. There is a Board school for 70 children; average attendance 65.

This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_row_0008