Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories


Original document


Jakeman & Carver’s Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire

Place name:





Trades and professions named in Rowlestone include:

Assistant Overseer: B Gwillim

Miller: David Davies [Upper Mill]

Parish clerk: H Hirons

Vicar: Reverend James Martin Kennedy [since 1864]

Mentions property called:  

Cwm [Alfred Evans]

Lower Mill [John Wall]

New Bilbo [Richard Williams]

Newhouse [John Smith]

Park farm [John Gwillim]

Pen y worlodd [James Farr]

Puythrunt farm [John Williams]

Rowlstone Court [William Prosser]

Rowlstone House [William Parry]

Veddo [William Prosser]

Vicarage [Rev. James Martin Kennedy]

Vrow [John Williams]

Wigga [George Watkins]

Images of the full 1890 Jakeman & Carver’s Directory entry for Rowlestone are shown below.


Local farmers are named. The area, population, rateable value, main crops and other details of the Parish are given. There is an extensive description of the history and architecture of the church, which was restored in1865. Edward Scudamore Lucas [Lord  of the Manor] and James Williams Esq are the chief landowners. There is a Board school for 60 children; average attendance 38.

This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_row_0007