Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories H/914.244


Original document


Transcription of Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire & Shropshire

Place name:





NEWTON is a parish formed Nov. 3, 1848 from the parish of Clodock, on the east bank of the river Eskley, 4 miles west from Bacton station on the Golden Valley branch of the great western railway, 6 miles north-west from Pontrilas station on the Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford section of the same railway and 13 south-west from Hereford, in the Hereford division of the county, Ewyas Lacy hundred, Dore and Bredwardine rural district, Dore petty sessional division, Hereford county court district, rural deanery of Abbey Dore, and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. John the Baptist, erected in 1842, is an edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, west porch and an embattled western tower containing one bell: the church was erected principally through the exertions of John Powell esq. who gave the ground and a sum of money, and was restored in 1869 by the landowners: it affords 110 sittings. The register dates from the year 1849. The united benefice of Newton with St. Margaret and Michaelchurch Eskley, is a vicarage, joint net yearly value £450, with residence, in the alternate gift of the vicar of Clodock and R. R. W. R. Trafford esq. and held since 1935 by the Rev. Willie Ellam, of London College of Divinity. The local charities comprise the Rowland and Joan Jennings charities, derived from land valued at £5 yearly, which sum is distributed in bread, and " George's " charity, derived from land valued at 5s. yearly, which is distributed in money. There is a Methodist chapel here, built in 1833, with sittings for 100 persons. The land is mainly owned by the farmers. The soil is clay; subsoil, red sandstone. The crops are oats and mainly land in pasture. The area is 1,751 acres of land and 3 of water; the population in 1931 was 164.

Letters from Hereford, those for Newton & Upper Newton arriving via Vowchurch & those for Lower Newton, via Pontrilas. Longtown is the nearest M. O. & T. office



Ellam Rev. Willie (vicar), Newton vicarage



Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over.

Badham Jas. farmer, Three Yew Trees

Bufton Alice (Miss) smallholder, Yew Tree cottage

Button Arth. smallholder, Banynut Tree

Christopher Jas. smallholder. Farhouse

Fletcher Jn. smallholder. Cwm Clead

Gladwyn George, farmer, Yatt farm

Gundy Geo. Edwd. farmer, Waun Herbert

Gwillim Regnld. Thos.  carpenter

Jenkins Rd. farmer, Cwarelau

Jones Thos. farmer, Upper house

Lewis Trevor, farmer, The  Kellyn farm

Powell Albt. Jas. farmer, Little Green

Powell Jas. farmer, The Bank farm

Powell Sidney Wilfred, farmer, Lower Newton

Powell Mrs. farmer, Upper Newton

Preece Maurice, smallholder, Nantyr-Esk

°Price John. N., farmer, New house

Price Jas. Cecil, smallholder, Tumps farm

Pritchard Ernest Frank, smallholder, Upper Crossway

Pritchard John farmer, Old House

Pritchard Wilfred, builder. Upper court

Prosser Wilfred, farmer, Greggs farm

Sanders Jn. farmer, Castle farm

Sayce Fredk. farmer, Green farm

Sayce Geo.  farmer, Middle  Gilvach

Seaborne Charles,  farmer, Maescoed

Seaborne Wm. smallholder, Great house

Sharp   Arth.   smallholder,   Court-a-Pella

Smith Edwin, farmer, Burnt house

Watkins Jas. farmer, Gwrlodith

Williams Aaron, shopkeeper. Cottage

Williams Jn. Hamlet, farmer, Woodlands



This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_nwt_0021