Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories


Original document


Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire

Place name:





Trades and Professions named in Newton include:

Blacksmith: J Williams

Carpenter: Thomas Sanders; Thomas Preece

Parish clerk: Joseph Higley

Shopkeeper: Joseph Higley; Joseph Sanders

Tailor: Joseph Higley

Vicar: Reverend George Vaux Collinson

Wheelwright: Thomas Sanders; Thomas Preece

Mentions property called:  

Burnt House [George Seaborne]

Castle Farm [William Shaw]

Dingle [John Hamlet]

Far House [Philip Lewis]

Gilvah [Mrs Pitt]

Gwm [?Cwm] Clead [W Rogers]

Gwrlody farm [David Watkins junior]

Little Green [Mrs Rogers]

Lower Newton [Ambrose Powell]

Mescot [James Farr]

New House [Jas. Farr]

Newton Villa [Miss E Prosser]

Old House [Thomas Watkins]

Quarrelly [David Watkins]

Square house [Thomas Preece

The Cottage [William Williams]

The Green [William Watkins]

The Palace [JH Williams]

The Yatt [William Watkins]

Upper Newton [Thomas Smith]

Wain Herbert [Ann Lewis]

Woodland [James Price]

Images of the 1876 Littlebury’s Directory entry for Newton in Clodock are given below.


The Directory gives population, area, rateable value, types of crops and other details of the township. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel here.

This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_nwt_0012