Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories


Original document


Kelly’s Directory of Shropshire and Herefordshire

Place name:





Trades and Professions named in Newton include:

Bailiff: Charles Powell

Carpenter: Thomas Saunders

Parish clerk: Joseph Higley

Schoolmaster: William Morgan

Shopkeeper: Joseph Higley; John Gwynne

Tailor: Joseph Higley

Vicar: Reverend William Storer Sellon

Mentions property called:  

Burnt House [George Seaborne]

Cwm Clee [William Rogers]

Far House [John Watkins]

Green farm [William Watkins]

Greggs farm [Richard Jakeman]

Gwrlody farm [David Watkins junior]

Little Green [William Preece]

Llandee [William Farr]

Lower Newton [William Farr]

Maescoed [William Pritchard]

Marlborough House [Rev. William Storer Sellon]

New House [Edwin Dale]

Old House [George Watkins]

Quarrelly [Jane Watkins]

Stormy Castle [William Shaw]

The Cottage [William Williams]

Upper house [Albert Watkins]

Upper Newton [Thomas Smith]

Wain Herbert [Annie Lewis]

Woodlands [Charles Powell]

Yott farm [Jn. Williams]

An image of the 1876 Kelly’s Directory entry for Newton is given below.


The Directory gives population, area, rateable value, types of crops and other details of the township. The church was restored in 1869 and there is a Primitive Methodist chapel here. There is a Board school built in 1870 for 130 children; average attendance 100.

This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_nwt_0013