Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories H/914.244


Original document


Transcription of Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire

Place name:

Michaelchurch Escley




MICHAELCHURCH ESKLEY, or Michaelchurch Escley, is a parish on the Eskley brook, 3 1/2 miles from Vowchurch station on the Golden Valley section of the Great Western railway, 8 miles north-east from Pontrilas station on the Newport, Abergarenny and Hereford section of the Great Western railway, and 14 west from Hereford, in the Hereford division of the county, Ewias Lacy hundred, Dore and Bredwardine rural district, Dore petty sessional division, Hereford county court district, rural deanery of Abbey Dore and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Michael is a small but ancient building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western tower containing 5 bells: the church was restored in 1872: in 1897 the tower and south-west corner of the nave wall were entirely rebuilt, the belfry refloored, and the bells rehung: an oak screen was erected in 1912 to the memory of H. R. Trafford esq. Electric light was installed in the church in 1922 by Mrs. B. M. Capper in memory of her husband, the late Mr. Alfred Capper. The register dates from the year 1719. The united benefice of Michaelchurch Eskley with St. Margaret and Newton is a vicarage, joint net yearly value £450, with residence, in the alternate gift of H. R.W. E. Trafford esq. and the vicar of Clodock, and held since 1935 by the Rev. Willie Ellam, of London College of Divinity, who resides at Newton. There is a Methodist chapel at Llanrosser, built in 1866, seating 100 persons. Michaelchurch Court, the property of R. R. W. R. Trafford esq. is a substantial old building, well situated and commanding a fine view of the surrounding country. The parish is in the manor of Ewias Lacy, of which R. R. W. R. Trafford esq. is lord; he is also the principal landowner in the parish. The soil is a clay brash. The chief crops are oats, beans and potatoes. The area is 4,580 acres of land and 6 of water; population in 1931, 248.

Post   Office. Letters   through   Abergavenny (Mon.). Longtown nearest M. 0. & T. office

Conveyance.—Wye Valley Motor Co. omnibuses to Abergavenny tues. & fri.; Hereford, wed. & sat. ; Hay, thurs



(For T N's see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)

Capper Mrs. B. M. Firs cottage

Trafford Richard Randolph William Rawson, Firs cottage



Altree Thos. farmer, Pentwyn

Altree Thomas, farmer, Upper house

Badham Jn. farmer, The Wern

Bowen David Jn. farmer, Ty Craddock

Bridge Inn (Mrs. A. L. Shaw) [Innkeeper]

Castree Alfd. Frank, farmer, Glybes

Christopher Arth. farmer,  Rockyfold

Christopher Wm. farmer, Old house

°Cole Wm. Geo. farmer, Bank farm

Davies  Herbert,  blacksmith

Francis Wm.   farmer,   Gigfren

Gane   Harold   Thos.   farmer,   Llanbaddarn

Greenow Edgar, farmer,  Cairon

Howard Arthur,  tailor

°Howells Geo. Edgar, farmer, New house

Howells Thos.  farmer, White house

Lewis Arth. farmer, Pucha

Lewis    Arth.    Beechy,    smallholder, Tanners

Lewis  Charles,  miller  (water),  Post office.    Peterchurch 205

Lewis Frank, farmer, Grove farm

Lewis William farmer, Tymaur

Lewis William,  farmer,  Wilderness

Lloyd Wm. Jas. farmer, Coed-Robin

Phillips  Maddy  Thos.   farmer,  New-house & Rockfield house

Powell Chas. farmer, The Firs

Powell Jn. farmer,  Bridge  farm

Powell Jn. farmer, Rhydunog

Price Arthur, farmer, Lower house

Price Geo. farmer. Upper Pen-y-park

Price Hy. G. estate carpenter to R. R. W. R. Trafford esq

Price Gilbt. farmer, Ty-u-Cha

Price  Jn.  Chas.  farmer,  Old  house  & Old Kates

Price William, farmer, Quakers

Pritchard Hy. Jn. farmer & ; threshing machine owner, Clothiers

Prosser   Ernest    Cyril,    smallholder, Brighten house

Prosser Jas. smallholder, New house

Prosser Wm. smallholder, White cottage

Ruck Arth. farmer, Rhyd-y-back

Sanders Jn. farmer, Castle farm

Sanders Wm.  farmer,  Cefnkeest

Stewart Jas. farmer, The Tump farm

Stokes Wm. Lewis, farmer, Lower house

Tuck E. (Mrs.), farmer, Vicarage farm

Watkins Gilbert, farmer, Maerdy

Williams Trevor Jn. frmr. The Birches



This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_mic_0183