Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Reference section


Original publication


The Mansions of Herefordshire and their Memories: CJ Robinson

Place name:

Michaelchurch Escley




Charles John Robinson MA was Vicar of Norton Canon in Herefordshire, and his book was published by Longmans & Co. of London in 1872. It includes comments on the parishes and prominent families of the county. The following entry is for Michaelchurch Eskley [sic]:


“Michaelchurch Eskley derives its second name from the brook Escle, and is situated within the great manor of Ewyas Lacy. Richard Aubrey (of Clehonger) occupied the chief residence in 1634, but it was soon afterwards in the hands of Michael Thomas (d. 1670, aet. 76) who had two sons – Edward of Michaelchurch, and Humphry of Bishopston. The former d. 1671, aet. 52, and was succeeded by his son Humphrey, who m. Constance Watkin, and d. 1732, aet. 67. He entered his pedigree at the Her. Vis. [Heraldic Visitation] of 1683, and his family continued at Michaelchurch until late in the last century.* Edmund Thomas (H.S., 1755), the heir of the family, devised it to his kinsman, John Lewis, and his son Thos. Edm. Lewis. After passing through their hands it has now become the property of Charles Guy Trafford (son of Maj.-Gen. T.S. Trafford) and his aunt, Miss Rawson of Nidd Hall, Yorkshire. Michaelchurch Court, the residence of the former, was erected by him a few years since.

* Mon, Ins. To Humphry Thomas, d. 1732, aet. 67; Edmund Thomas, d.  8 Dec.,1757,  aet. 63; Elizabeth, his wife, d. 5 Feb., 1770, aet. 81. Jane, relict of Rich. Campion of London, d. 8 Dec., 1744, aet. 44. John Lewis, d. 3 Jan., 1795, aet. 86.”

Top - Back

Ref: rs_mic_0115