Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories


Original document


Lascelles & Co.’s Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire

Place name:

Michaelchurch Escley




Trades and professions named in Michaelchurch Escley include:

Beer Retailer: Richard Ball [New Inn], David Pritchard

Blacksmith: Walter Harris, Charles Pritchard

Clerk: Francis Howard

Curate: Reverend Morgan Jones

Carpenter: George Watkins

Innkeeper: Samuel Smith [Sun Inn]

Steward: [to RW Barton, Michaelchurch Court Estate]: William Sherratt

Miller: John Jones [Michaelchurch Mill]

Mentions property called:  

Bank Farm [William Sherrat]

Blainney [Thomas Harris]

Bridge Farm [Thomas Gwillim]

 Cairon [Richard Lloyd]

Cefncest [William Phillips]


Glebes [William Gwin]

Llanbadon [James Pritchard]

Llwyenroser [Llanrosser] [Joseph Manwaring]

Lower House [Howard Howard senior; George Lewis]

Meardy [Thomas Jones]

Michaelchurch Court [JT Kenward

New House [John Price]

Old Hay [William Howles]

Old House [Howard Howard jun.]

Pikes [William Gwillim]

Rockyfold [James Powell; John Roberts]

Sun Inn [Samuel Smith]

The Firs [David Patton]

Tyucha [Thomas Phillips]

Upper House [Nathaniel Cobb]

Wernderris [Charles Phillips]

Wernmoor [William Gwillim]

An image of the full 1851 Lascelles Directory entry for Michaelchurch Escley is given below.


Local farmers are named. Michaelchurch is ‘the noble mansion’ of Richard Watson Barton, Esquire. There is a Free school in the course of erection. There are ‘excellent quarries’.

This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_mic_0132