Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories


Original document


Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire and Shropshire

Place name:

Michaelchurch Escley




Trades and professions named in Michaelchurch Escley include:

Blacksmith: Charles Davies

Carpenter: Richard Watkins

Grocer: Mary Realey, John Watkins

Innkeeper: Isaac Pugh [Bridge Inn], William Pugh [New Inn]

Mason: Charles Hughes

Miller: Mary Realey

Schoolmaster: William H Thompson

Tailor: William Howard

Vicar: Reverend John Frederick Walwyn Trumper [since 1895]

Mentions property called:  

Bank farm [Thomas James]

Birches [Charles Jones]

Blaenan [Edward Whistance]

Bridge farm [William Mapp]

Brighton Camp [William Christopher]

Cairon [Jonathan Howalls]

Cefnkest [Noah Jones]

Clothier Hopkin [John Smith]

Coed Robin [John Phillips]

Gigfran [Walker]

Great Cefn [Benjamin Maddy]

Greyland [William Price]

Groves farm William Lewis]

Little Cefn [John Morris]

Llanbadon [George Mapp]

Llwyn rosser [Aaron Meredith]

Lower House [George Lewis]

Lower House [Thomas Watkins]

Maerdy [Thomas Gwillim]

Michaelchurch Court [Mrs Trafford; Henry Randolph Trafford]

New House [Percy Realey]

New House [John Munkley]

New House [John Watkins]

Old house [John Watkins]

Pentwyn [Thomas Jones]

Pucha [William Lewis]

Quakers [John Price]

Rhyd y back [William Shaw]

Rhydynog [Phillip Powell

Rocky fold [Joseph Roberts]

Spring Castle [James Williams]

Tan house [Charles Hughes]

The Firs [Richard James]

The Glebe [John Jones]

The Wern [Sarah Watkins]

Ty Craddock [William Carbery]

Ty Mawr [James Munkley]

Tynag quint (?tyn y gwynt) [Stephen Maddy]

Tyucha [Charles Phillips]

Upper house [William Lloyd]

Upper pen y park [Jas. Williams]

Vicarage [Mary Jenkins]

An image of the full 1895 Kelly’s Directory entry for Michaelchurch Escley is given below.


Local farmers are named. The area, population, rateable value, main crops, geology, county court arrangements and other details of the Parish are given. Henry Randolph Trafford and the Marquess of Abergavenny are joint Lord of the Manor and are the principal landowners. The architecture of the church, restored in 1872, is described, and there is a Primitive Methodist chapel. There is a Board school with master’s house for 100 children; average attendance 35.

This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_mic_0137