Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories


Original document


Cassey: History, Topography & Directory of Herefordshire

Place name:

Michaelchurch Escley




Trades and professions named in Michaelchurch Escley include:

Beer Retailer: Richard Ball

Blacksmith: Walter Harris, Charles Pritchard

Carpenter: George Watkins

Innkeeper: Samuel Smith [Sun Inn]

Miller: Mrs Jones [Michaelchurch Mill]

Shopkeeper: Mrs Jones

Mentions property called:  

Bank Farm [William Sherrat]

Blaenau [Thomas Harris]

Cai Caron [Richard Lloyd]

Court (Michaelchurch Court) [JD Kedward Esq.]

Llanbadon [James Pritchard]

Llwyn rosser [Joseph Manwaring]

Lower House [Howard Howard senior; George Lewis]

Maerdy [William Gwillim]

New house [William Jones; John Price]

Old Hay [William Howells]

Old House [Thomas Gwillim; Howard Howard jun.]

Rhydynog [James Powell]

Rockyfold [John Roberts]

Sun Inn [Samuel Smith]

The Firs [David Patton]

Ty-u-cha (?Tyrucha) [Thomas Phillips]

Upper House [Nathaniel Cobb]

Wern Dyrys [D. Allon]

An image of the full 1858 Cassey Directory entry for Michaelchurch Escley is given below.


Local farmers are named. The area, population, geology and other details of the parish are given. RW Barton, Esq. and the Earl of Abergavenny are the chief landowners. There is a Free school.

This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_mic_0131