Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories


Original document


Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire

Place name:





Trades and Professions named in Longtown include:

[Sub] Postmaster: Nicholas Cheese

Blacksmith: George Davies, William Probert [Pen y wain], James Rickards

Builder: William Pritchard

Carpenter: William Jones, John Williams

Carrier: John Williams [Perthe Perton]; Mrs George [Trelandon]

Draper: Nicholas Cheese

Grocer: Nicholas Cheese, Mary Williams, James Gretton [New Shop]

Innkeeper: John Evans [Crown Inn]; Aaron Farr [New Inn]; William Gwillim [New Inn]; William Hyde [Black Lion Inn]; Mrs E Johnson [Rising Sun]; John Lewis [Greyhound Inn]; William Lewis [Cornewall Arms Inn]

Ironmonger: William Prothero

Land agent [Estate Agent]: John Harris

Laundress: Mary Stephens

Mason: Joseph Price, William Pritchard

Miller: Thomas Lloyd [Ponties (?Pontys) Mill], Richard Miles [Pontynys Mill]

Minister [Salem Baptist Chapel]: Reverend John Howells

Policeman: John Phillips [Sergeant]

Registrar: Phillip Gwillim

Road Surveyor: Phillip Gwillim

Saddler: Aaron Davies

Schoolmaster: Thomas Driffield

Shoemaker: Benjamin Prosser, James Powell

Shopkeeper: Mrs Rickards

Surgeon: Charles Warren Price

Tailor: Nicholas Cheese

Vicar: Reverend Edmund Davis

Watchmaker: William Prothero

Wheelwright: William Jones, John Price, John Williams

Mentions property called:  


Castle Terrace

Chapel Cottage

Church house


Court llaca farm

Cwm coched

Cwm Dulas

Denmark Cottage


Great Cwm coched

Groves farm

Grydall farm

Hunt house

Little Cwm coched


Lower Bryn farm

Lower House

Lower Pont hendre

Lower Pontynys

Lower Wernddu

Middle Bryn farm

Middle Pont Hendre

New House

New shop

Old Court

Pen y dre

Pen y rheol

Pen y wain

Perthe Perton

Rose Cottage


The Cottage

The Moody

The Vicarage

The Villa

Tregoed farm




Ty mawr

Upper Wernddu


Yew Tree Cottage

Images of the 1876 Littlebury’s Directory entry for Longtown are shown below.


The Directory gives population, area, rateable value, types of crops, geology and other details of the township. Fairs for sheep & cattle are held on 29 April, and a statute Fair on 21 September. There is a school built in 1869 and a Baptist chapel [Salem] built in 1843.

This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_lon_0032