Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories


Original document


Kelly’s Directory of Shropshire and Herefordshire

Place name:





Trades and professions named in Longtown include:

Assistant overseer: James Price

Blacksmith: Joseph Seabourne

Carpenter: John Prosser

Curate: Reverend Edmund Davis

Grocer: James Gretton, William Prothero

Harness maker: Frederick Townsend

Innkeeper: William Cooper [Rising Sun], Aaron Farr [Greyhound], John Johnson [New Inn], David Parry [Crown], Frederick Townsend [Black Lion]

Ironmonger: William Prothero

Land Agent: John Gilbert Harris

Mason: William Pritchard

Miller: Richard Miles [Pontynys]

Policeman [Sergeant]: James Butler

Schoolteacher: Thomas Lawrence

Shoemaker: William Prothero

Shopkeeper: Eliza Williams

Surgeon: Leslie Lachlan Thain

Surveyor: Philip Gwillim

Tailor: Nicholas Cheese, Urbane Nicholls

Wheelwright: William Jones, John Price

Mentions property called:  

Brooks [Thomas Pendry]

Buildings [William Thomas]

Court Llacca James Price]

Cwm [Henry Jones]

Cwm Bullog William Monkley]

Glan Olchon [Rev. Edmund Davis]

Grove [Frederick Price]

Hunt house [James Edwards]

Llanwonog [Charles Thomas]

Lower Bryn [Richard Miles]

Lower House [William Pritchard]

Lower Wern dee [Thomas Watkins]

Maerdy [John Smith]

Money ferdin (? Mynydd Merdyn) [George Watkins]

Old Mill [John Pritchard]

Oldcourt [Henry Harris]

Pen y lan [James Price Griffiths]

Pont hendre [Thomas Beavan]

The Moody [George Watkins]

The Villa [John Gilbert Harris]

The wain [George Williams]

Trelandon [Samuel Maddy]

Trewern [Elizabeth Parry]

Ty mawr [Thomas Williams]

Upper Wern dee [Robert Wilson]

Waine [John Farr]

Welsh Hunt house [John Pritchard]

Yew tree Cottage [ Leslie Lachlan Thain]

An image of the full 1885 Kelly’s Directory entry for Longtown is given below.


Local farmers are named. The area, population, rateable value, main crops, geology, fairs, county court arrangements and other details of the township are given. The architecture of the church is in Early English style and was restored in 1868 at a cost of £600. There is also a Baptist chapel. There is a Board school for 112 children; average attendance 70.

This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_lon_0034