Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories H/914.244


Original document


Transcription of Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire & Shropshire

Place name:

Longtown, Clodock






CLODOCK is a very large ecclesiastical parish, on the river Monnow, with a chapel of ease at Longtown; it is at the foot of the Black Mountains, 6 miles west from Pontrilas station and 4 north from Pandy station, both on the Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford section of the Great Western railway, 17 from Hereford and 10 from Abergavenny, in the Hereford division of the county, Ewyas Lacy hundred, Dore and Bredwardine rural district, Dore petty sessional division and Hereford and Abergavenny county court districts, rural deanery of Abbey Dore and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Cleodicus is a large building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower of Norman date, containing 5 bells: the interior is seated with ancient oak benches, and there is a carved oak box, dated 1691, and a tablet giving the tithe charges of market produce: there is a piscina in the nave : there are monumental tablets to the families of Davis, 1780-1837; Price, 1764-1807; Gwillim, 1742-1845; Jenkins, 1742-92; Jones, 1805-15; Lewis, 1801-24; to the Rev. John Rogers, vicar, d. 25 March, 1837 (who was a direct descendant of the first Marion Martyr), and others. The register, including entries from Llanveynoe and Longtown, dates from the year 1705. The living is a vicarage, with Longtown, joint net yearly value about £300, with 1 1/2 acres of glebe, and residence, in the gift of the Rev. Frederick George Llewellin B.D. and held since 1922 by the Rev. Harry Astbury L.Th. of Durham University, who is also vicar of Walterstone and resides at Longtown. There are charities of about £30 yearly value. Roman remains were found when a new school was built on the Castle green in 1869. The population of the ecclesiastical parish of Clodock in 1931 was 548.

Crasswall & Llanveynoe are townships in this parish acting independently but are connected ecclesiastically; they will each be found under separate heads.


LONGTOWN is a township and village and coterminous with Clodock ecclesiastical parish; it lies at the foot of the Black Mountains, and is intersected by the Monnow, Olchon and Eskley brooks; the village is 4 miles north from Pandy station on the Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford section of the Great Western railway. The chapel of St. Peter is an ancient building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a small western bell-cote containing 2 bells: the church was restored in 1868. There is a Baptist chapel, built in 1843, seating 150 persons. There is a Methodist chapel here, built in 1889, seating 120 persons, and another at Lower Mascoed, built in 1858, seating 130 persons. Fairs are held on the 3rd Monday in February, the last Monday in April and the Monday before Sept. 25th for sheep and cattle, and a cattle and horse fair on the third Monday in November. A great portion of the ruins of Longtown Castle still remains; the walls are about 40 feet high and 12 feet in thickness. The Marquess of Abergavenny is lord of the manor. Montague Harris esq. is the chief landowner, and the remainder of the land is mostly owned by the occupiers. The soil is sandy; subsoil, red sandstone. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats, but the ground is mostly in pasture. The area is 6,227 acres of land and 33 of water; population in 1931, 548.

Post, M. O., T. & T. E. D. Office.    Letters from Abergavenny

Police Station

Motor omnibuses run to Abergavenny, tues. fri. & sat.; Hereford, wed. & sat. & Hay, thurs



Astbury   Rev.   Harry   L.Th.  (vicar), St. Clodock's vicarage, Longtown

Harris Miss, Gilbertstone

Jones David, Jessamine house

Phillips Alfred James Gilbert J.P. Trelandon

Price Miss Jessie, Bryn View



Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over.

°Ball Jas. farmer, Upper Brooks

Bircher Edwd. smallholder, Lower Maescoed

Bridgewater Richard, Miller (water), Pontynys mill

Carberry  Wm.   smallholder,   Lower Maescoed

Davies Jn. [Innkeeper] New inn

Davies Thos. farmer, The Ferns

Ellis Danl. farmer, Cwmcoched

Ellis Thos. smallholder, Lower Cwmcoched

Farr Aaron, wheelwright, Bryn cott

Gardiner   Hy.   smallholder,   Lower Maescoed

Grenow Chas. Farmer New House farm

Griffiths Frank, farmer,  Coldbrook

Griffiths Hy. Saml. Farmer, Greidol

Gwillim Thomas smallholder, Lower Maescoed

Hooper W. H. & Sons. timber merchant

Hope Edward Sydney [Innkeeper] Crown Inn

Howells Aaron, farmer, Wayne

Howells   Thos.   Geo.   farmer,    Upper Pont-Hendre

James Cecil, farmer, Cwmbologue

Johnson Geo. Hy. Farmer, Llan-won-og

Johnson Hy. farmer, Lower House fm

Johnson John farmer, Hunt House

Jones Danl. farmer, Lower house

Jones F E (Mrs) smallholder, Lower Maesoed

Jones Geo. sen. farmer, Pontynys

°Jones Wm. farmer. Cwm Dulas farm

Lewis Jn. farmer. Tanhouse farm

Lewis Trevor Jn.  farmer, Kellyn

Lewis Warren, shopkeeper & post office.    T N 1

Lloyd Thos.  farmer, Middle Trewern

Morgan    William    Holmes   M.E.O.S. Eng., L.E.C.P.Lond. surgeon, & medical officer & public vaccinator Longtown district, Dore Guardians Sub-Committee (attends here)

Moses Arth.   smallholder, The Top, Lower Maescoed

Moses   Wm.   Penry,   farmer.   Pontagorthain

Mountford   D.   &    J.   farmers,   Great Cwmcoched

Phillips Alfred James Gilbert J.P. farmer, Great Cwmcoched

Phillips Tom, farmer, Castle Vach

Powell Edwin [Innkeeper] New Inn, Cwm Dulas

Powell John farmer, Belpha farm

Powell Phillip Jn. farmer, Sunnybank

Powell Jn.  farmer, Maerdy farm

Powell Sidney Jas. Farmer, Penland

Price   Geo.   A.   registrar   of   births, deaths & marriages Pontrilas sub-district, registrar    of    marriages Hereford   district   &    relieving & vaccination officer for Clodock district, Dore   Guardians Sub-Committee (attends)

Price   Wm.   farmer,   Tregoed  farm

°Price Wm. farmer, Tycennol

Pritchard Arth. farmer, Lower Bryn

Pritchard Edgar, farmer, Ty-Bach

Pritchard Guy, farmer, Bryn

Pritchard   Jas.   jun.   farmer,   Perth-y-perton

Pritchard Jas. Jun farmer, Lower Trewerne

Pritchard Wilfred, farmer, Pen-y-dre

Proctor Allen Greyhound P.H. [Innkeeper] & clerk to the Parish Council

Proctor George, butcher

Prosser Bertha (Mrs.), farmer, Great Bilbo, Lower Maescoed

°Prosser Allen. farmer, Old court

Prosser William. farmer. Shop Vach

Prothero Eliz. (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Prothero Wm. Ernest,   boot maker

Pugh Sarah Ann (Mrs), Cornewall Arms P.H.

Thomas Wm. farmer, Welsh Hunt house

Watkins Chas.. farmer, The Groves

Watkins Danzy Sheen. farmer, Moody

Watkins    Wm.     Geo.     smallholder, Buildings

Welson   Rt.   Saml.   farmer,   Upper Wern-ddu

Wheeler Jas. shopkeeper

Williams     David, farmer,  Middle Pont-Hendre

°Williams Frank S. farmer, Brooks farm

Williams George, farmer, Bryn

Williams Harold, blacksmith

Williams Isabella (Mrs.), farmer, Lower Wern-ddu

Williams John farmer, Mynyddferdyn

Williams Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Hunt House farm

Williams Reginald Bruce farmer, Llandee

Williams Rd. Jn.. farmer, Ruthland



This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_lon_0049