Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories H/914.244


Original document


Transcription of Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire & Shropshire

Place name:





LLANVEYNOE is a township, chapelry and scattered hamlet, on the Olchon Brook, at the foot of the Black Mountains, on the borders of Brecknockshire, 6 miles north-west from Pandy station on the Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford section of the Great Western railway, 8 south-east from Hay, 12 from Abergavenny, its market town, 16 west from Hereford, in the Hereford division of the county, Clodock civil parish, Ewyas Lacy hundred, Dore petty sessional division, Dore and Bredwardine rural district, rural deanery of Abbey Dore, and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Peter's is a small but ancient building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of nave, south porch and a western turret containing one bell: it was restored in 1877, at a cost of £500, and considerably enlarged in 1912 : there are now 86 sittings. The register, forming part of that of Clodock, dates from the year 1714. The living is a vicarage, united with that of Craswall, joint net yearly value £345, in the gift of the vicar of Clodock, and held since 1928 by the Rev. Percy Loadman, of St. Aidans. Interesting relics of the Bronze Age have been dug up here. In the Olchon valley is the renowned St. Thomas's Well, the water of which is said to have almost miraculous qualities in the treatment of affections of the skin. Llanveynoe is in that portion of the manor of Ewyas Lacy, of which R. R. W. R. Trafford esq. is lord, the other portions of the manor being owned by the Marquess of Abergavenny. There are various landowners. The soil is sandy; subsoil, red sandstone The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, beans and swedes. Large numbers of sheep are reared on the mountains. The area is 4,600 acres of land and 9 of water; the population in 1931 was 168.

Letters addressed Llanveynoe, Longtown, Abergavenny.

Longtown nearest post,  M.  0. &   T.  office

Conveyance.—Omnibuses run to Abergavenny market, tues. & fri. & to Hereford, wed



Loadman Rev. Percy (vicar),Highfield



Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over.

Bevan Wm. carpenter. Old Smithy

Davies Albert Edward farmer, Upper Cwm

Francis Harold, farmer, Pengelly

°Griffiths   A, (Mrs) & sons  farmers, Olchon farm

Howells Geo. farmer, Hillside

Howells Howell,  farmer,  Black hill

Hyde Victor, farmer, Sunnybank

Jenkins Oscar, farmer, Little Cwm

Jones Edgar, farmer, Aubrey's

Jones Geo. farmer, New house

Jones Stanley, farmer,  The Hollies

Jones Thomas farmer, Black Hill

Jones: Wm. farmer, Upper Olchon farm

Munkley Wm. farmer, Little Turnant

Nicholls George, farmer, Lower house

Parry John, farmer, Pont-y-moody

°Powell   Philip, farmer, Middle Cwm

Price James, farmer, Rhula Turnant

Price Wilfred, farmer, The Cayo

Pritchard Meredith farmer, Lower Turnant

Prosser Jn. farmer, The Darren

Russell   Jane (Mrs.), farmer. Ivy cottage

Simmons Jsph. farmer, Lower Blaen

Smith John, farmer,  Triloidee

°Smith Wm. farmer, Olchon court

°Watkins Agnes (Mrs.)  &   Sons,  farmers, Great Cwm

Watkins Albert, farmer, Brass Knoll

Watkins Arthur, farmer. Llandore

Watkins David, farmer, Lower Cwm

Watkins David, farmer, Great Turnant

Watkins John, farmer, Penrhewy

Watkins Saml. farmer, White house

Watkins Wm. Herbt. farmer,Yellow house

Williams Herbt. farmer. Upper Turnant

Williams Jas. George, farmer, Charity farm

Williams Lionel, farmer, Upper Blaen

Williams Reginald, farmer, Old mill



This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_llv_0014