Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories


Original document


Post Office Directory of Herefordshire

Place name:





Trades and professions named in Llanveynoe include:

Beer retailer: James Davies

Blacksmith: David Williams

Parish clerk: John Lewis

Vicar: Reverend Edmund Davis

Mentions property called:  

Cayo [William Williams]

Great Cwm [John Symonds]

Lan dwr [James Johnston]

Lower Cwm [George Powell]

Middle Cwm [James Watkins]

Olchon [David Watkins]

Olchon farm [John Griffiths]

Pont y mwdy [Thomas Bowen]

The Hollies [David Lewis]

Trenant [Isabella Nicholls]

Turnant [William Williams]

Upper house [James Williams]

An image of the full 1879 Post Office Directory entry for Llanveynoe is given below.


Local farmers are named. Principal landowners are William Phillips Esq., Reverend T Williams and T Bladon, Esq. The Marquis of Abergavenny is Lord of the Manor. The area, population, rateable value, main crops, geology and other details of the Township are given.

This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_llv_0004