Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories


Original document


Kelly’s Directory of Shropshire and Herefordshire

Place name:





Trades and professions named in Llanveynoe include:

Blacksmith: David Williams

Parish clerk: John Lewis

Vicar: Reverend Edmund Davis [since 1842]

Wheelwright: James Price

Mentions property called:  

Cayo [David Lewis]

Cwm [James Davies]

Great Cwm [George & Arthur Nicholls]

Lower Cwm [John Price]

Middle Cwm [James Watkins]

Olchon [James Morris; William Parry]

Olchon farm [John Griffiths; David Strachan]

Penerwy [James Williams]

Pont y mwdy [George Nicholls]

The Hollies [David Lewis]

Trenant [Nicholls brothers]

Triloode [James Smith]

Turnant [William Williams; Theophilus Gore]

Upper house [James Smith]

An image of the full 1885 Kelly’s Directory entry for Llanveynoe is given below.


Local farmers are named. The area, population, rateable value, main crops, geology and other details of the Township are given. Principal landowners are William Phillips Esq., Reverend T Williams and T Bladon, Esq. The Marquis of Abergavenny is Lord of the Manor. The architecture of the church, which was restored in 1877 at a cost of £500, is described.

This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_llv_0005