Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories


Original document


Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire and Shropshire

Place name:





Trades and professions named in Llanveynoe include:

Blacksmith: David Williams

Curate: Reverend George John Tuck [since 1893]

Parish clerk: George Nicholls

Wheelwright: Charles Price

Mentions property called:  

Black Hill [James Morris]

Cayo [Daniel Jones]

Charity farm [George Williams]

Cwm [James Davies]

Dicks [William Watkins]

Great Cwm [George & Arthur Nicholls]

Highfield house [John Powell]

Llandore [John Watkins]

Lower Cwm [John Price]

Lower house [Thomas Williams]

Middle Cwm [James Watkins]

New House [Thomas Williams]

Olchon [William Parry]

Olchon farm [Arthur Griffiths]

Old Mill [James Watkins]

Penerwy [Samuel Johnson]

Pont y mwdy [George Nicholls]

The Blane [George Watkins]

The Hollies [John Lewis]

Town house [Thomas Watkins]

Trenant [Nicholls brothers]

Triloode [James & Thomas Smith]

Turnant [James Williams; Samuel Gore]

Upper house [James Smith]

White house [Thomas Prosser]

An image of the full 1895 Kelly’s Directory entry for Llanveynoe is given below.


Local farmers are named. The area, population, rateable value, main crops, geology and other details of the township are given. The architecture of the church is described, and it was restored in 1877 at a cost of £500. Principal landowners are William Phillips Esq., Reverend T Williams and T Bladon, Esq. Llanveynoe is in the portion of Ewyas Lacy for HR Trafford of The Court, Michaelchurch Eskley is Lord of the Manor. The Marquis of Abergavenny owns the other portion of the manor.

This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_llv_0007