Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories


Original document


Jakeman & Carver’s Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire

Place name:





Trades and professions named in Llanveynoe include:

Assistant Overseer: Mr Jas. Price [Longtown]

Blacksmith: David Williams

Carpenter: James Price

Carrier: Thomas Williams

Parish clerk: A Davies

Vicar: Reverend WS Sellon [since 1888]

Wheelwright: James Price

Mentions property called:  

Cayo (Kayo) [Daniel Jones]

Cwm [James Davies]

Daren [Ellen Probert]

France [Peter Davies]

Highfield house [John Powell]

Lan dwr [John Watkins]

Lower Cwm [John Price]

Middle Cwm [James Watkins]

New house [Thomas Williams]

Olchon [Thomas Farr]

Olchon house [Arthur Griffiths]

Old Mill [John Pritchard]

Triloch ddu (Triloode) [James Smith]

Turboil (Blackhill) [Sarah Hughes]

Turnant [James Williams; Thomas Jones]

Upper house (Olchon) [James Smith]

White house [Thomas Prosser

Yellow house [William Parry]

An image of the full 1890 Jakeman & Carver’s Directory entry for Llanveynoe is given below.


Local farmers are named. The area, population, rateable value, main crops, geology, county court and election arrangements and other details of the Parish are given. The church was restored in 1877.

This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_llv_0006