Held at:

Private collection




Archaeologia Cambrensis (1952)


Visit to Llanthony Priory by the Cambrians

Place name:





from William Roscoe’s (1753-1831) South Wales

In 1952 a group of members of the Cambrian Archaeological Association held a residential study week based at Hereford. Among the places visited was Llanthony Abbey. Their guide on that occasion was Mr Geoffrey F. Webb.

The note and illustration are from the report of their itinerary in Archaeologia Cambrensis (1952)


“Llanthony Abbey, a house of Augustinian Canons, was formed from a group of hermits in the early years of the 12th century. In 1135 a part of the community, finding the situation too exposed to the ravages of the Welsh, removed themselves to a site near Gloucester where the new foundation prospered exceedingly. The faithful remnant at Llanthony Prima never attained the wealth and importance of the Gloucester house. In spite of this, however, considerable benefactions were made to the original monastery in the reign of Henry II, and the Canons were able to rebuild their monastic church in the last decade of the I2th century. The choir, central tower, transepts and part of the nave survive together with both western towers. They represent an extremely interesting example of the type of Romanesque or early Gothic distinguished by the late Mr. Brakspear as the work of a single school of masons, whose development he traced at Malmesbury, Glastonbury, Wells and elsewhere.   G.F.W.”

More information on Llanthony Priory

For the Possessions of Llanthony Priory


Engraving of Llanthony Abbey, from Evans and Britton's, 'Beauties ofMonmouthshire',1809

For a discussion of the Abbeys of Wales by Jeffrey L. Thomas



Top - Back

Ref: gc_lly_2001