Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories


Original document


Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire

Place name:





Trades and Professions named in Llancillo include:

Bailiff [for Llancillo Hall]: James Jones

Vicar: Reverend James Martin Kennedy

Mentions property called:

Arcadia [Thomas Jones]

Little Goytre [Philip Price]

Llancillo Hall [James Gilbert Price]

Pool Farm [James Hoddell]

Sunnybank [John Williams]

The Court [Edward Farr]

Upper House [John Prosser]

Images of the 1876 Littlebury’s Directory entry for Llancillo are given below.


The Directory gives population, area, rateable value, types of crops, geology, county court and election arrangements and other details of the parish. There is no school in the parish, but a new school is about to be erected in Walterstone. E Scudamore Lucas Esq. is Lord of the Manor; he and James Gilbert Price Esq are the principal landowners.

This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_llc_0004