Held at:

Private collection




Original photographs


Digital Archive: Photographs of St Bartholomew’s Church Vowchurch

Place name:

Golden Valley




St Bartholomew’s Church, Vowchurch

[Extract from a description displayed in the church]

The main part of the church was consecrated in 1348, although the west wall was rebuilt in the 17th century and the west window is Victorian. The bell turret was built with a bequest dated 1522; the present timber supporting structure is from the 17th century and the external spire dates from 1871.

The chancel screen dates from 1613 and the chancel roof is largely medieval. The nave roof was renewed in the 17th century. The unusual internal timber posts were also installed at that time to provide additional support, though the reason some of them were placed obstructing the windows is lost in the mists of time.

The church was heavily restored in the 19th century, when the multitude of coloured Armorial Shields around the church representing the Arms of prominent local families were also restored or replaced from the 17th century originals. The church was further refurbished in 1950 and most recently in 2004.

The most notable incumbent was the Reverend Skeffington Hume Dodgson, whose brother became famous under the pen name of Lewis Carroll for his tales of Alice in Wonderland. Reverend Skeffington was Vicar of St Bartholomew's from 1895 to 1910 and his grave is in the churchyard. There is a collection of memorabilia relating to him and his brother in a display cabinet in the church.


St Bartholomew’s Church from the North

St Bartholomew’s Church from the West

St Bartholomew’s Church from the East

Inside St Bartholomew’s Church; note the unusual roof support beams and the Armorial Shields

A personalised pew in St Bartholomew’s Church

The carved screen in St Bartholomew’s Church

Access to the belfry in St Bartholomew’s Church is not for the faint-hearted

A local resident in St Bartholomew’s Churchyard allegedly achieved a world record age back in 1790

The wooden porch of St Bartholomew’s Church was rebuilt to the original style in 1860

The bridge over the River Dore adjacent to St Bartholomew’s Church





Top - Back

Ref: rs_gdv_0168