Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories


Original document


Kelly’s Directory of Shropshire and Herefordshire

Place name:





Trades and professions named in Cusop include:

Innkeeper: George Price [Sun], Alfred Henry Stephens [Nelson Inn]

Mason: George Price

Miller [water]: John Jones

Minister [Baptist]: Reverend William John Newton

Quarryman: James Price

Rector: Reverend Albert Henry Seacome

Schoolmaster: Miss Esther Mary Edwards

Mentions property called:  

Blaenans [James Price]

Blenheim Cottage [Miss Lewis]

Castle house [Charles Bowen]

Llydy ady way [Charles James Lilwall]

Nant y glas dwyr [Mrs Morley]

Pen yr hen llan [Charles Davis]

Redley [John Rutter]

Redwing [Thomas Tipping Lawden]

Trevatock [John Meredith]

Ty bordy [William Lane]

Tyllyshope farm [John Newman]

Tyloch farm [John Newman]

An image of the full 1885 Kelly’s Directory entry for Cusop is given below.


Local farmers are named. The area, population, rateable value, main crops, geology, county court arrangements and other details of the Parish are given. The architecture of the church [restored 1857] is described. The Reverend Sir George Henry Cornewall, Bart. of Moccas Court is Lord of the Manor. There is a Board school built in 1875 for 50 children; average attendance 40.

This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_cus_0010