Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories


Original document


Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire and Shropshire

Place name:





Trades and professions named in Cusop include:

Innkeeper: John Pugh [Sun], John Jones [Nelson Inn]

Miller [water]: John Jones

Minister [?Baptist]: Reverend John Lloyd Keating

Quarryman: James Price

Rector: Reverend George Dermer Pagden [since 1894]

Schoolmaster: Mrs Esther East

Mentions property called:  

Blaenans [James Price]

Blenheim house [Thomas Henry Lewis]

Castle house [Mrs Bowen]

Coopers hall [Edward Smith]

Crega [john Watkins]

Dulas [Mrs Swinburn]

Llydy ady way [Charles James Lilwall]

Nant y glas dwyr [John Easthope]

Pen yr hen llan [William Gilbert]

Rectory [Rev. George Dermer Pagden]

Redley [John Meredith]

Redwing [Thomas Tipping Lawden]

School house [Alfred East]

Trevaddock [Charles Williams]

Ty bordy [William Lane]

Ty Glen [Robert Thomas Griffiths]

Tyllyshope [George Wood]

An image of the full 1895 Kelly’s Directory entry for Cusop is given below.


Local farmers are named. The area, population, rateable value, main crops, geology, county court and other details of the Parish are given. The architecture of the church is described as Norman style; it was built by the monks of Llanthony and restored in 1857. The foundations of Cusop castle still remain. Dr Francis Trumper is Lord of the Manor. There is a Board school built in 1875 for 50 children; average attendance 37.

This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_cus_0012