Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories


Original document


Jakeman & Carver’s Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire

Place name:





Trades and professions named in Cusop include:

Curate: Reverend JW Marsden

Dairyman: Chas. James

Innkeeper: George Price [Sun], Mrs Stephens [Nelson Inn]

Mason: George Price

Miller [water]: John Jones, W Terrett [Cusop Mill]

Quarryman: James Price

Rector: Reverend Albert Henry Seacome [since 1879]

Revenue Officer: Thomas Palfrey

Schoolmaster: Miss EM Edwards

Mentions property called:  

Blaenan [James Price]

Blenheim House [Rev. JW Marsden, Mrs Caroline Jones]

Bricklands [Henry Charles Lloyd]

Broad meadow [Thomas Pugh]

Castle house [Mrs Bowen]

Coopers Hall [Thomas Palfrey]

Dulas House [Mrs Swinburne]

Enocks [Chas. James]

Llydy ady way [Charles James Lilwall]

Mill farm [Charles Williams]

Nant y glaster [John Eathope, Evan Dyke]

Penhentland [Charles Davis]

Redlay [John Meredith]

Redwing [Thomas Tipping Lawden]

Terrett [Evan Davies]

Trevadock [John Williams]

Ty bordy [William Lane]

Ty Glyn [Robert Thomas Griffiths]

Tyllyshope farm [Edward Davies]

An image of the full 1890 Jakeman & Carver’s Directory entry for Cusop is given below.


Local farmers are named. The area, population, rateable value, main crops, geology, county court and election arrangements and other details of the Parish are given. FR Trumper Esq. is Lord of the Manor. There is a Board school for42 children; average attendance 25. The Golden Valley Railway is mentioned.

This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_cus_0011