Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories


Original document


Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire and Shropshire

Place name:





Trades and professions named in Craswall include:

Beer retailer: David Watkins

Builder: Thomas Palmer

Curate: Reverend Frederick Richard green [since 1892]

Innkeeper: Thomas Gane [Bulls Head Inn]

Miller: Abraham Davies [Cwm Mill]

Schoolmaster: Joseph Makinson

Shopkeeper: Emma Davies

Property named includes:

Abbey farm [James Price]

Bettys tan House [Aaron Jenkins]

Black Hill [John Jenkins]

Chapel house [William Morris]

Coad top [James Jones]

Court farm [Jane Gane]

Crasswall Court [John Winston]

Crossway [Thomas Palmer]

Cwm [George Williams]

Cwm Mill [Abraham Davies]

Cwm Steps [Vear Smith]

Dukes farm [Robert Meredith]

Forest Mill [Moses Jenkins]

Gouldevain [Henry Watkins]

Great Black Hill [Elijah Howells]

Llandraw [Arthur Watkins]

Llanover [John Titley]

Lower Black Hill [Edwin Powell]

Middle Blackhill [William Yeomans]

Munkleys [Moses Jenkins]

New Forest [William Jones]

Old House [Henry Watkins]

Old Mill [William Watkins]

Rhwynford [Sidney Cole]

Rocky fold [John Mountford]

Shawls [Gilbert Phillips]

The Barn [William Winston]

The Birches [William Lewis]

The Coed [John Price]

The Reeds [James Prosser]

The Rood [John Jones]

The Town [Edward Mountford]

Trylandon [William Bowen]

Upper Cwm [George Watkins]

Upper house [William Gane; Samuel Jones]

Wern Wen [Thomas Smith]

White Haywood [David Gilbert]

White Oak [William Powell]

An image of the full 1895 Kelly’s Directory entry for Craswall is given below.


Local farmers are named. The area, population, rateable value, main crops, geology, county court and other details of the Parish are given. There is a Board school and two Primitive Methodist chapels. Principal landowners are Henry Randolph Trafford and Philip Williams Esq. of Hinstock Hall, Salop. The church was restored in 1883, and there is a cockpit on the north side where ‘in the early part of this century cockfights were held on Sundays after service’. The school was built in 1876 for 90 children; average attendance 36.

This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_cra_0076