Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories


Original document


Jakeman & Carver’s Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire

Place name:





Trades and professions named in Craswall include:

Beer retailer: David Watkins

Blacksmith: Charles Davies

Carrier: John Williams

Curate: Reverend WS Sellon

Innkeeper: Thomas Gane [Bulls Head Inn], David Watkins [Three Horseshoes]

Mason: Thomas Palmer

Miller: Abraham Davies [Cwm Mill]

Schoolmaster: James Jones

Shopkeeper: Mrs E Davies

Property named includes:

Abbey farm [James Price]

Bettys [Aaron Jenkins]

Chapel house [George Morris]

College farm [William Gane]

Court farm [Jane Gane]

Crasswall Court [John Winson]

Crossway [Thomas Palmer]

Cwm [George Williams]

Cwm Mill [Abraham Davies]

Cwm Steps [Vear Smith]

Dukes farm [Robert Meredith]

Forest Mill [Moses Jenkins]

Gouldwain [James Howells]

Great Black Hill [Elijah Howells]

Little Black Hill [John Jenkins]

Llandraw [Henry Watkins]

Llanoly farm [R Davies]

Lower Black Hill [Edwin Powell]

Middle Blackhill [William Yeomans]

New Forest [William Jones]

Old House [Henry Watkins]

Old Mill [William Watkins]

Pentwyn [William Jones]

Runisford [Mrs Hughes]

Rocky fold [John Mountford]

Shawls [John Williams]

Tan house [Aaron Jenkins]

The Barn [William Winson, John Winson]

The Birches [William Lewis]

The Coed [Arthur Watkins]

The Reeds [James Prosser]

The Rock [Benjamin Williams]

The Rood [Samuel Jones]

The Town [Edward Mountford]

Three Yew Trees [Mrs Morris]

Treland [Isaac Price]

Tybothg [David Phillips]

Upper Cwm David Watkins]

Upper house [William Gane, Samuel Jones]

Wern Wen [Charles Crump]

White Haywood [David Gilbert]

White Oak [Joseph Beavan]

Yatt [John Watkins]

An image of the full 1890 Jakeman & Carver’s Directory entry for Craswall is shown below.


Local farmers are named. The area, population, rateable value, main crops and other details of the Parish are given. There is a Board school and two Primitive Methodist chapels. Principal landowners are the Marquess of Abergavenny [Lord of the Manor], Miss Rawson and Mrs Williams. The school was built in 1876 for 78 children; average attendance 47. There is reference to a priory of the order of Grandmount [Grandmont].

This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_cra_0075