Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories


Original document


Kelly’s Directory of Shropshire and Herefordshire

Place name:





Trades and professions named in Clodock include:

Blacksmith: John Thomas

Innkeeper: Margaret Gwillim [New Inn], John Gwillim [Cornwall Arms]

Mason: James Pritchard

Miller [water]: Henry Miles

Registrar: Philip Gwillim

Vicar: Reverend George Vaux Collinson [since 1884]

Mentions property called:  

Castle Vach [Ann Prosser]

Cwm coched [John Davis]

Cwm Dulas [Philip Gwillim]

Garn [Thomas Davis]

Great Cwm coched [George & Thomas Roddick]

Gridall [Elizabeth Richards]

Little Cwm coched [Jas. Gane]

Lower House farm [Samuel Johnson]

Pen rhwl [John Thomas]

Pont Hendre [James Hughes; John Williams]

Ruthlin Farm [Powell]

An image of the full 1885 Kelly’s Directory entry for Clodock is given below.


Local farmers are named. The architecture of the church is described along with the area, population, main crops, geology, charity, county court and other details of the Parish. There is reference to a castle, a new school built in 1869 and a Roman camp [Blastium].

This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_clo_0074