Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories


Original document


Lascelles & Co.’s Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire

Place name:

Clodock [with Craswall, Llanveynoe, Longtown & Newton townships]




Trades and professions named in Clodock include:

Beer Retailer: Thomas Parry

Blacksmith: James Ricketts, John Protheroe [Longtown]

Carpenter: John Cook, Thomas Cook, John Price

Clerk: John Pritchard

Curate: Reverend Charles Lionel Eagles [Longtown & Llanveynoe], Reverend WJ Jenkins [Newton & Craswall]

Grocer: William Williams [Longtown]

Innkeeper [also victualler]: William Farr, Cornwall Arms; Thomas Penery, New Inn; John Lewis, Greyhound [Longtown]; William Watkins, Crown [Longtown]

Land steward: Henry Harris

Miller: Richard Miles

Saddler: Timothy Gwynee [Longtown]

Schoolmaster: John Brown

Shopkeeper: Richard Miles, Mary Parry, John Pritchard

Surgeon: William Barber [Longtown], James Brantour [Longtown]

Tailor: Nicholas Cheese senior [Longtown], Nicholas Cheese junior [Longtown], John Nicholls [Longtown]

Vicar: Reverend Charles Probert

Wheelwright: William Farr

Mentions property called:

Coom-Coched [?Cwmcoched] [James Price]

An image of the full 1851 Lascelles Directory entry for Clodock is given below.


Local farmers are named, and there is reference to a castle, a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel and a free school in Longtown. Clodock church is described, with Chapels of Ease at Longtown, Llanveynoe, Newton and Craswall.

This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_clo_0072