Baker University Collection
Guest Contribution: The Stained Glass in the Urishay Room at Baker University
Michaelchurch Escley, Golden Valley
We are grateful to the Faculty and Management of Baker University, Baldwin City, Kansas for permission to include on our website this research into the Urishay Room carried out for them by W Richard Delahay. It forms part of the Baker University Collection of photographs and documents available elsewhere on the site.
Ewyas Lacy Study Group
The Urishay Room at Baker University, Baldwin City, Kansas is the original oak-panelled Drawing Room from Urishay Castle, which was sold as architectural salvage circa 1913. This paper touches on the background to the Delahay family holdings at Urishay from the 12th century, but is mainly concerned with the significance and interpretation of the six stained glass window panels that are an important historical feature of the room. They show coats of arms of prominent families and individuals in the Welsh Marches in Medieval times, and the paper explains the heraldic terms and motifs used. Photographs of the panels overall and in detail are to be found at the link above.
One bears the multi-pointed red sun representing the coat of arms of the Delahay Lords of the Manor of Urishay. The other five represent the arms of significant rulers of the 11th and 12th century Welsh regions or kingdoms including:
- The crest of Deheubarth - a significant portion of modern South Wales
- The arms of the ruler of Morganwg - the modern day county of Glamorgan
- The arms of Owain Gwynedd, the first ‘Prince of Wales’
- The arms of the Royal House of Gwynedd and of Owain Glyndwr, the ‘Last Prince of Wales’
- The arms of Gruffydd ap Cynon, one time ruler in Gwynedd
The paper includes the following sketch map of the Welsh kingdoms of the 11th century:
The original paper and illustrations are shown below as images, the text of which is not searchable.