Preservation of the Jacobean Drawing Room from Urishay Castle:
1600s to present
Research by W Richard Delahay traces the history of the preservation of the oak-panelled Jacobean drawing room at Urishay Castle after the demolition of the building c.1920.
The room, complete with doors, panelling, carved over-mantel and stained-glass windows, was salvaged and re-erected in London for sale to a world-wide audience. The research paper describes how it was shipped to America and put on display in a Chicago Department Store for 6 years before being acquired by the Art Institute of Chicago. From the mid 1930s the room was packed in crates and stored, before being donated to Baker University, Kansas, USA and re-erected there in 1962.
Click on the link to download a PDF file of Richard Delahay’s research paper “Secrets of 17th Century Herefordshire”. The work outlines the history of Urishay Castle and includes photographs of the preserved oakwork and the stained glass windows, which display six historic coats of arms. These are attributed to John de la Hay [12th century Lord of the Manor], the Welsh kingdom of Deheubarth, and to various Welsh kings including Owain Gwynedd, the grandfather of Owain Glyndwr.