St John’s Church Register of Burials
Newton Church of St. John Baptist,
Newton St. Margarets, Herefordshire
Register of Burials
The Register of Burials contains details of 384 burials. The first was on the 1st April 1852 and the last at the time of this transcription on12th October 2000. This transcription was made in February 2002 for the purpose of an exhibition of Parish History to be held in connection with the Church Room Restoration Project.
Over the years many clergymen have conducted Burials at the Church. Some being the regular incumbent, others visiting clergy. Among those making regular entries are:
Rev. Joseph Walker Jenkins.
April 1852 to August 1859.
Rev. P.H. Steruxchup.
November 1861 to March 1863
June 1864 to October 1884
Rev. W.G. Harrison.
November 1884 to December 1884
July 1885 to December 1887
Rev. George John Tuck.
June 1888 to August 1934
Rev. W. Ellam.
August 1936 to November 1942
Rev. D.P. Richards.
September 1943 to December 1963
Rev. Arthur Rowlands.
May 1964 to May 1970
October 1970 to April 1973
November 1974 to July 1977
Rev. Frank Rodgers, Vicar.
December 1977 to Present.
This transcription is in two parts. Firstly a copy of the 384 entries and secondly an index by surname of those buried. Some entries are numbered but the sequence is inconsistent, date and year best trace entries. Some entries in the Register have supplementary or additional information. Where this occurs the detail is added to the copy.
As an aid to identification the approximate year of birth of an individual has been calculated by subtracting the age in years from the year of burial. This will normally be accurate to plus 0 and minus 1.
The following annotations have been used:
? Where reading of an entry is uncertain.
(---) Where an entry item is blank.
(++) Where details are too long for convenient copying, see Register for fuller information.
The Register of Burials is contained in a single volume. It is in a purpose-printed book, half-bound in grey cloth and marbled paper. It measures 19cm by 24cm by 1.5cm. The front cover has a printed paper label
REGISTER OF BURIALS
CHURCH OF ST. JOHN. CLODOCK.
Rev. Joseph Walker JENKINS, Perpetual Curate,
JOHN POWELL, DAVID WATKINS, Churchwardens
For details of Burials for persons born before 1905 click here