Gwent Record Office
digital image of original document
Image and transcript of sale catalogue of Freehold Farms and Lands in Michaelchurch Escley, Lot 41 - Gigfern
Ewyas Lacy, Michaelchurch Escley
For sale by auction on the 30th October 1866 at the Angel Hotel, Abergavenny
on the instructions of the Marquess of Abergavenny, Lord of the Manor of Ewyas Lacy
Parish of Michaelchurch Escley
tithe map no.
Cottage, Barn & Premises
These premises commonly called “Gigfern” are situate on Upper Maescoed Common, and in the occupation of Thomas Williams as yearly tenant
Reserve price at auction £275
Highest bid on the day £190 – Unsold
Subsequently sold on 13th September 1867 at £255
from sale details
from tithe map- © g gwatkin
Some previous history of this holding:
Lease granted 25 Dec 1782 to Nicholas Johnson, Inn Keeper of Michaelchurch
for the lives of Francis, Thomas and Jane Johnson then aged resptly 16,11, & 9 (children of Lessee). John Smith purchased this lease of Johnson. Smith by his will gave it his wife Hester, who afterwards married Samuel Madocks of St Margarets.]
Now in the possession of Thos Williams who married Madock’s daughter.
Called “Gig Farm”
Expired – Worth 12s/- per acre
Quantity on Parish Map 8a.2r.15p.
Let to Thos Williams at £8 per annum from 2nd February 1865