Hereford Public Library
Local and Trade Directories H/914.244
Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire
Trades and professions named in Newton include:
Curate: Reverend George John Tuck
Parish clerk: John Hughes
Schoolmaster: Thomas Silk
Shopkeeper: Aaron Williams
Shopkeeper: Ernest Pritchard
Residents and property named includes:
Three Yew Trees
Yew Tree cottage
Matt [?Yatt] farm
Rev. George John
An image of the full 1917 Kelly’s Directory entry for Newton is given below.
Local farmers are named. The area, population, rateable value, main crops, geology, county court arrangements and other details of the Parish are given. The architecture of the church is described, and there is a Primitive Methodist chapel. The Marquess of Abergavenny is chief landowner. There is a public elementary school for 120 children.
This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.