Hereford Public Library
Local and Trade Directories H/914.244
Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire
Trades and professions named in Newton include:
Boot maker: William Lloyd
Carpenter: Edwin Jones
Carpenter: William Saunders
Curate: Reverend George John Tuck
Mason: James Pritchard
Mason: John Pritchard
Parish clerk: Joseph Higley
Schoolmaster: William Morgan
Shopkeeper: Joseph Higley
Shopkeeper: Mrs Elizabeth Watkins
Shopkeeper: William Kedward
Tailor: Joseph Higley
Residents and property named includes:
Rev. George John
Three Yew Trees
Upper Cross Way
Yew Tree cottage
An image of the full 1905 Kelly’s Directory entry for Newton is given below.
Local farmers are named. The area, population, rateable value, main crops, geology, county court arrangements and other details of the Parish are given. The architecture of the church is described, and there is a Primitive Methodist chapel. The Marquess of Abergavenny is chief landowner. There is a public elementary school for 130 children, average attendance 85.
This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.