Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories


Original document


Jakeman & Carver’s Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire

Place name:

Michaelchurch Escley




Trades and professions named in Michaelchurch Escley include:

[Sub] Postmaster: Mary Realey

Assistant Overseer [for Craswall]: J Howells

Blacksmith: Thomas Rudge

Carpenter: Richard Watkins

Carrier: Mrs Jenkins, Mrs Lewis

Grocer: John Watkins

Innkeeper: Isaac Pugh [Bridge Inn], Thomas Harris [New Inn]

Mason: Isaac Pugh, Joseph Jones

Miller: Mary Realey

Parish clerk: Thomas Watkins

Parish constable; Joseph Jones

Schoolmaster: William H Thompson

Shopkeeper: Mary Realey

Tailor: William Howard

Vicar: Reverend Fred Trefusis Wybrow [since 1878]

Mentions property called:  

Bank farm [Thomas James]

Birches [Charles Jones]

Blaenau [Edward Whistance]

Bridge farm [William Mapp]

Brighton Camp [Christopher William Christy]

Browns [Edmud Cobb]

Castell [James Williams]

Cefnkest [Noah Jones]

Church house [John Watkins]

Coed Robin [John Phillips]

Crossway [William Howard]

Gigfran [Thomas Williams]

Gliss [William Hughes]

Great Cefn [Benjamin Maddy]

Gregland [William Price]

Grove farm William Lewis]

Kyron farm [J Howells]

Little Cefn [John Morris]

Little Hill [Charles Phillips]

Little Llanrosser [Aaron Meredith

Llanbadon [Thomas Parry]

Llanrosser farm [James Price]

Lower House [George Lewis]

Maerdy [Thomas Gwillim]

Michaelchurch Court [Mrs Trafford; Edward Guy Trafford]

New House [Isaac Phillips]

New House [James Pritchard]

New House [John Munkley]

Old Hay [Enoch Prosser]

Old house [John & Thomas Watkins]

Old House [William Howard]

Old Kates [William Howard]

Pen y park [Thomas Jones]

Pentwyn [Thomas Jones]

Powells [Mary Munkley]

Pucha [William Lewis]

Quakers [John Price]

Rhydynog [Phillip Powell]

Tan house [Charles Hughes]

Ten y gwent farm [Stephen Maddy]

The Cottage: [Rev. Frederick Trefusis Wybrow]

The Gate [Thomas Harris]

The Glebe [John Jones]

The Tump [Joseph Jones]

The Wern [William Watkins]

Ty Craddock [William Carberry]

Ty Mawr [James Munkley]

Tyucha [Sophia Phillips]

Upper house [Thomas Jones]

Vicarage [John Jenkins]

Vicarage farm [Mary Jenkins]

Wern guinea [Richard Parry]

White house [John Watkins]

Wilderness [Richard James]

Yew Tree Cottage [William Pritchard]

Images of the full 1890 Jakeman & Carver’s Directory entry for Michaelchurch Escley are shown below.


Local farmers are named. The area, population, rateable value, main crops, geology and other details of the Parish are given. Miss Rawson and the Marquis of Abergavenny are the principal landowners. There is a Board school with master’s house for 106 children; average attendance 32. The architecture and features of the church and of Michaelchurch Court, where Edward Guy Trafford JP is in residence, are mentioned.

This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_mic_0136