Held at:

Baker University Collection

Reference:

RS

Source:

Original photographs

Title:

Digital Archive: History and Photographs of the Jacobean Drawing Room from Urishay Castle

Place name:

Michaelchurch Escley, Golden Valley

Date:

1600s

Description:

 

The Drawing Room from Urishay Castle photographed here had a chequered history. It was first sold c.1913 as architectural salvage to Marshall Fields Limited in Chicago, USA, as a display setting for their antique furniture department. It was subsequently sold and displayed at the Chicago Art Institute, before being acquired and gifted to Baker University in Baldwin City, Kansas. There it has been carefully preserved and now features as part of their library buildings, where it contains a collection of rare bibles.

We are most grateful to the faculty and management of Baker University who took these photographs for us and gave us permission to publish them along with a variety of other material they made available concerning the room and its provenance. This is all accessible from the index page of the Baker University Collection on this website.

 

Ewyas Lacy Study Group

 

 

 

Sketch of Urishay Castle Manor House and moat in 1865

 

Plaque in the Urishay Room at Baker University, Baldwin City, Kansas, USA

 

The reconstructed Urishay Castle Drawing Room at Baker University

 

The reconstructed Urishay Castle Drawing Room at Baker University

 

The reconstructed Urishay Castle Drawing Room at Baker University

 

The reconstructed Urishay Castle Drawing Room at Baker University

 

Fireplace and overmantel

 

Fireplace and overmantel, with adjacent panelling

 

Fireside Pilaster

 

Detail of carving on the fireside pilaster and mantelpiece

 

Carved overmantel with bust of John Wesley in the centre alcove

 

Left overmantel panel carving

 

 

Left overmantel statuette

 

Right overmantel panel carving

 

Right overmantel statuette

 

Carved pilaster and finial

 

Detail of carved finial

 

Window surround with stained glass panes;

shelves have replaced the original leaded lights that were underneath

 

Chandelier [not original to the room] with window in the background

 

Original leaded light window panes

 

Pair of stained glass window panes with coats of arms

 

Pair of stained glass window panes with coats of arms

 

Pair of stained glass window panes with coats of arms

 

 

Detail of stained glass panes: Arms of the Welsh Kingdom of Deheubarth

 

 

Detail of stained glass panes: Arms of the Delahay family, Lords of the Manor of Urishay

 

 

Detail of stained glass panes: Arms of Owain Gwynedd, a Welsh prince

 

 

Detail of stained glass panes: Arms of the Welsh Kingdom of Morganwg

 

 

Detail of stained glass panes: Arms of Owain Glyndwr and the Welsh Kingdom of Gwynedd

 

 

 

Detail of stained glass panes: Arms of Gruffydd ap Cynan, a Welsh prince

 

 

 

Observations:

None


Top - Back

Ref: rs_mic_0342