Hereford Public Library
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244
Transcript of Original Publication
Oldmill barn: architecture, construction and history
Up to 1700
(4) Oldmill Barn, on the S.W. bank of the River Monnow, 250 yards N. of (3), was built in 1666. It is of one storey and in four bays ; two of the roof-trusses have sloping struts between the tie-beam and principal rafters, and two trusses have tie and collar-beams only. The E. gabled wall has been partly rebuilt but retains an old battened door. Two small doorways in the S. wall have chamfered wood frames in the head of one of which is cut the date 1666; over the doorways are stone-slab labels. There are two loop-lights in this wall and one in the N. wall; to the E. of the latter is a four-light window which originally had diamond-shaped mullions, but only one of these now remains.
Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments