Hereford Public Library
Local and Trade Directories
Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire and Shropshire
Trades and professions named in Llanveynoe include:
Blacksmith: David Williams
Curate: Reverend Pendarves George Kekewich [since 1904]
Farm Bailiff [to Guy Trafford]: Thomas Watkins
Assistant Overseer & Commission Agent: James Price
Wheelwright: William Morgan
Mentions property called:
Pont y mwdy
An image of the full 1905 Kelly’s Directory entry for Llanveynoe is given below.
Local farmers are named. The area, population, rateable value, main crops, geology and other details of the township are given. The architecture of the church is described, and it was restored in 1877 at a cost of £500. Principal landowners are William Phillips Esq., Reverend T Williams and Arthur Nicholls, Esq. Llanveynoe is in the portion of Ewyas Lacy for which HR Trafford of The Court, Michaelchurch Eskley is Lord of the Manor. The Marquess of Abergavenny owns the other portion of the manor.
This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.