Hereford Public Library
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244
Transcript of Original Publication
Upper House: architecture, construction and history
Up to 1700
(8). Upper House, farmhouse and barn, 400 yards N.W. of (7). The House is of one storey with attics and is built on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the S. and E. The E. wing is of 15th-century date, and was probably timber-framed. In the first half of the I7th century the S. wing was added when the earlier building was refaced with stone. The end walls of both projecting wings are gabled and on the E. wall of the E. wing is a rectangular chimney-stack with stepped offsets. Inside the building, on the ground-floor, the main cross-partition in the E. wing is of timber with stop-chamfered framing, and the cross-partition in the S. wing is of similar construction but of 17th-century date and with beaded framing. There are several old battened doors. In the attics of the E. wing are two exposed crutches, the lower parts of which have been cut away below the tie-beams.
The Barn, about 30 yards S.E. of the house, is of four bays, of which the three northernmost are timber-framed on a stone base, and the southernmost an extension in stone rubble with a basement below. There are modern extensions at the N. end and along the whole of the W. side. The whole of the infilling between the timber-framing appears to have been of wide battened lathing. The roof trusses have tie-beams with sloping struts to the principal rafters. On one of the timber-braces is carved the date 1629.
Condition—Of house—E. wing poor, S. wing good.
Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments