Hereford Public Library
Local and Trade Directories H/914.244
Transcription of Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire & Shropshire
LLANCILLO is a small parish on the river Monnow, on the borders of Monmouthshire, 2 1/2 miles south-west from Pontrilas station on the Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford section of the Great Western railway and 13 south-west from Hereford, in the Hereford division of the county, Ewias Lacy hundred, Dore and Bredwardine rural district, Dore petty sessional division, Hereford county court district, rural deanery of Abbey Dore and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Peter, for some time ruinous and disused, but restored in 1895, is an ancient building of stone, old and curious, in the Early English style, with south porch and a western bell-cote containing 2 bells: in the churchyard are some tombstones to the Scudamore family. The register dates from the year 1728. The living is a vicarage, consolidated with that of Rowlstone, joint net yearly value £150, including 40 acres of glebe, and residence, in the gift of R. A. Freeman esq. and held since 1918 by the Rev. Enoch John Davies B.A.. of St. David's College, Lampeter, who resides at Rowlstone. The land is mainly owned by the farmers. The soil is sandy; subsoil, red sandstone. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 1,073 acres of land and 14 of water; population in 1931, 53.
Letters through Abergavenny via Pandy. The nearest M. 0. & T. office is at Pontrilas
Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over.
°Addis Jn. farmer, Llancillo hall
°Farr John Allan, farmer, Llancillo Court farm
Fletcher Jn. Wm. farmer, Sunnybank
Lloyd Frank, farmer, Lodge farm
Parry Thos. farmer, Arcadia
Phillips Hy. farmer, Pool farm
Watkins Hy. farmer, Upper house
This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time.