Hereford Public Library
Local and Trade Directories
Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire and Shropshire
Trades and professions named in Llancillo include:
Bailiff [to George Prosser, Llancillo Hall]: Edward Gwatkin
Vicar: Reverend Robert Whinery [since 1894]/
Mentions property called:
Arcadia [Job Jones]
Llancillo Court farm [Edward Farr]
Llancillo Hall [George Prosser]
Lodge farm [George Prosser]
Pool farm [John Smith]
Sunny bank [John Williams]
Upper House [George Jones]
An image of the full 1895 Kelly’s Directory entry for Llancillo is given below.
Local farmers are named. The area, population, rateable value, main crops, geology, county court and other details of the Parish are given. The architecture of the church, restored in 1895, is described. Edward Scudamore Lucas of Castle Shane Co. Monaghan [Lord of the Manor] and the Scottish Union and National Insurance Company are principal landowners.
This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.