Biographical Details: Reverend CT Brothers, Rector of Bacton
1862 - 1953
The Reverend Charles Thomas Brothers: Rector of Bacton, 1904-1952.
Charles was born in 1862 at Chipping Sodbury, Gloucestershire. During his time as Rector of St Faith’s, Bacton he dedicated some of his time to travelling throughout Europe and the Middle East visiting churches and places of religious interest. During these travels he regularly wrote articles for the Monthly Parish magazine; keeping all his parishioners, especially those not fortunate enough to travel to such places, informed about his adventures and the wonders, or otherwise, of the locations he visited.
He refused all offers of preferment (promotion) from several Bishops of Hereford. He donated three stained-glass windows to the Church: that depicting Saint Faith in 1905, and Saint Lawrence and Saint Stephen in 1921.
He was also Chaplain to the Dore Poor Law Union and sat on the Board of Guardians for the Dore Workhouse in the Parish of Abbeydore, caring for the spiritual needs of the many residents of all ages.
His sister kept house for him and his time at Bacton was chronicled in the monthly magazines, an invaluable record of parish life.
After a lifetime dedicated to God he finally passed away in January 1953 being laid to rest in a grave adjacent to the tower of St Faith’s.
When he died, after a tenure of 49 years, the parishioners placed the tablet to his memory in the Church.
Trained at St Bees College, Cumberland 1887 – 1888
Ordained at Newcastle Cathedral as Deacon in 1888
Ordained at Newcastle Cathedral as Priest in 1889 and became a curate in St John’s Church, Percy Main, Newcastle from 1888 – 1892
Moved to Amble nr Ashington in Northumberland from 1892 – 1893
Moved to Souldern nr Bicester, Oxfordshire from 1894 - 1896
Moved to Milford Haven, S. Wales from 1896 - 1901
Moved to Stretton Grandison in Herefordshire from 1902 – 1904
His last move in 1904 was to Bacton where he stayed until his death in 1953
In 1871 he appears on the census for Depwade, Harleston in Norfolk aged 9
In 1891 he appears on the census for St Philip & St Jacob, Barton Regis in Gloucester aged 29
Family Coat of Arms
Coat of Arms granted in 1574 to Brothers of Oxfordshire
Copy of Words on Coat of Arms
Per pale gu and sa on a fesse between three griffins’ heads erased or, as many lozenges ermines
A demi greyhound sa holding in the paws a dart gu feathered argent
Mottos: Semper Eadem (Always the same)
Hodie mihi cras tibi (It is my lot today, yours tomorrow)
Patoir ut potior (We suffer that we may win the victory)
Meaning behind the symbols:
Gold Generosity and elevation of the mind
Red Warrior or martyr; military strength and magnanimity
Black Constancy or grief
Arrow/Dart Readiness (for battle)
Dog Courage, vigilance and loyalty
Fesse Military belt or girdle of honour; Readiness to serve the public
Griffin Valour and death-defying bravery, vigilance
Compiled by ELSG from documents and details provided by Rev. Brothers’ nephew, 2015.