Herefordshire Record Office
Michaelchurch Court Estate: Mortgagee’s Account
1835 - 1847
The document deals with ‘Miss Traill’s Account as Mortgagee’ of the Michaelchurch Court Estate, and provides a summary statement of Principal and Interest due to Miss Traill as at December 1842 together with payments made by a Mr. Daniell on account of the mortgage. It is backed by detailed schedules headed ‘Mr. Alfred Cocker in account Current with Miss Traill as Mortgagee.’ These schedules provide a clear picture of the economics and day-to-day affairs of the estate, including rents paid by named tenants, payments for repairs and services on the estate, and so on, for a period of twelve years. The estate lands include parts of the parishes of Michaelchurch Escley, St Margarets and Craswall. Properties referred to include Michaelchurch Mill, Goods farm, Dantlloyne (Dantloyne) farm, Gwerlod Vain, Upper Llandraw farm, Forest Mill, Castle farm, Wilderness farm, Bank farm, the Manor, Firs farm, Blacksmith’s shop, Llandraw Quarry, Trenant farm, Michaelchurch Court farm, Rhyd-y-Bach farm, Llandraw (Lower Llandraw) farm, Mapplwyd (Mapplewyd) farm, Dukes farm, and Firs Cottage. The amounts charged and the names of people providing services to the Estate are given, and the trades include Blacksmith, Ironmonger, Carpenter, Sawyer, Mason, Bricklayer, Haulier, Quarryman, Tiler, Hedge Layer, Handymen for general repairs and sundries, Sign Painting, Land Drainage, Millwright, and last but not least a certain Mr Watkins, Agent at Hereford, ‘for managing the Estate and superintending repairs.’ It is also noted that Michaelchurch Court was ‘let entire’ to a Mr. Prosser as from 2nd February 1836.