Digital Archive: Photographs of a Collection of Estate and Farm Sale Particulars
1899 - 1931
Note by George Charnock, Ewyas Lacy Study Group
At the St Margarets Church Local History event of 17 th & 18 th June 2006 Phyllis Gwillim of The Tan House kindly allowed me to borrow for copying a collection of Sale Particulars for Herefordshire estates and properties.
There were details of nine sales within the period 1899 to 1931. Three of these sales were for major Estates and the others for smaller properties.
Estate and Farm Sale Catalogues
[Photographs of the underlying documents can be seen by following the links]
The Major Estates
- 1913, Urishay Castle Estate , 24 th September, 1568 acres in 50 Lots. The catalogue is 38 pages plus a large map.
- 1920, Marquess of Abergavenny’s Herefordshire Estate , 22 nd & 23 rd January, 2669 acres in 166 Lots. The catalogue is 104 pages with 10 Maps
- 1921, The Clifford Estate , 11 th August, 2008 acres in 51 Lots. The catalogue is 29 pages with a map.
The other Properties
- 1899, 1 st June. The Blayney Farm and Twyn y Gwint in Michaelchurch Escley, together with The Hay Mills, The Poplar House and two houses in Broad Street in Hay on Wye. There is no plan.
- 1901, 25 th June. Glan Olchon and The Great House in Longtown . There is a single sheet plan.
- 1904, 14 th June. Lower House Farm in Michaelchurch Escley . Plan only.
- 1905, 16 th August. Old House and Old Kates Farm, Michaelchurch Escley, and Quarrelly Farm, Newton , have been extracted from particulars of a mixed lot of Herefordshire Farms, with plans
- 1928, 15 th March. New House, Pens y lvania and Tyn-Y-Gwynt in Michaelchurch Escley with other property. There is no plan with the particulars.
- 1931, 17 th March. The Groves Farm, Longtown . There is no plan with the particulars.
These documents form part of a much wider selection of Sale Particulars for properties in Ewyas Lacy that can be found on this website.